A hoverboard fire claimed the life of a young girl on Saturday morning. The fire began around 8 pm on Friday evening in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania when a charging hoverboard ignited. After the three-year-old girl was brought to the Lehigh Valley Hospital – Cedar Crest, she succumbed to her injuries on Saturday morning around 11:30 am. Two other girls were critically injured in the fire and remain at the hospital, and two other male residents received treatment and were then released. Officials state that this is the first fatality directly linked to a hoverboard fire. It is unknown if the hoverboard was one of the many brands recalled since 2015.
When hoverboards arrived on the scene, they gained popularity with children and adults alike. However, hoverboards from various manufacturers sparked dangerous fires due to lithium battery packs that overheat, catch fire, or explode when in use, prompting massive recalls. If consumers continue to use these faulty hoverboards, any individual could incur personal injuries or even a fatality as evidenced in this weekend’s fatal hoverboard fire.
Pennsylvania Product Liability Lawyers Eisenberg Rothweiler Handle Defective Product Cases
If you suspect a product you purchased is defective, contact our Pennsylvania product liability lawyers at Eisenberg, Rothweiler, Winkler, Eisenberg & Jeck, P.C., at 215-546-6636. Contact us online or visit our offices in Philadelphia or Cherry Hill, New Jersey, where we serve clients in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and throughout the country.